Scripture: James 3:13-28
The book of James is a wisdom literature and focuses on practical Christian living.
James was talking about how to live wisely and successfully as followers of Jesus.
Scripture: James 5:13-20
James focuses in his closing or concluded his letter on the important practice of praying effectively.
Paul's emphasis to pray without ceasing. James emphasis in on how we can pray more effectively. How to we harness that effective power in our praying?
To be effective and powerful in praying James says:
- We must establish pray AND praise as the two pillars of our worship
- We must pray in total submission to the will of the Father for the sick/weak
- We must pray in the confession of our sins
- We must pray with intensity and fervency for God's intervention in adversities
- We must pray with compassion and empathy for the return of backslidden believers
Scripture: James 5:7-12
Christians great hope is in the return or second coming of Jesus.
This was the hope of Christians in the first century when they suffered for their faith and died for their faith.
We as followers are still waiting for His return, and it seems like a long time or never going to happen.
We have to patiently wait for His second coming.
- Learn how to be patient in waiting from farmers
- Learn how to be patient in faithfulness from the prophets
- Learn how to be patient in suffering from Job
Scripture: James 4:13-17
One of the many struggles of believers is submitting or surrendering to the will of God.
Here's 3 negative behaviours we have to stop doing if we want to live in triumphant in submission to the will and desires of God.
- We have to stop being presumptuous
- We have to stop boasting
- We have to stop neglecting to do what is right
Instead, we are to START submitting to the Lord.
7 practical steps to submitting to God and His will.
- Be sure you are obeying the known will of God
- Surrender to the point of being willing to do anything God says
- Seek God's will based on principles found in his word
- Watch for providential circumstances
- Ask God to reveal His will
- Ensure there's inner peace
- Seek Godly counsel
Scripture: James 4:1-12
Everyone wants to live in peace. Yet only few people have peace or experienced it in life.
What are the cause of absence of peace?
- Evil desires remains within us
- Asking God with wrong motives
- Friendship with the world is stronger than your friendship with God
We need to take steps to have peace and be at peace with God, ourselves and others.
- Draw close to God. Pray and repent
- Humble ourselves before God
- Let God be the Judge
Scripture: James 3:1-12
- The tongue is petite but it's powerful. What comes out of our mouth has the power to DIRECT one's life
- The tongue is perverted and polluted. What comes out of our mouth has power to DESTROY life
- The tongue is purposed for good. What comes out of your mouth has power to DELIGHT God and others
How do we control the tongue?
- Respond with honest, life changing, encouraging words, like 'God bless you'. Instead of retaliating with spiteful words
- Surrender it to God along with your heart. Instead of letting your tongue run loosely
- Choose to use your tongue to glorify, praise and bring delight God. Instead of being inconsistent
Scripture: James 2:14 - 26
As followers of Jesus, we must always act in a Christlike and Biblical manner that is proper in every circumstance.
When we do, we’re aligning our faith and actions with God’s word.
We need to be true to ourselves and to God.
- We need to DO what we know, and not SAY what we know
- We need to know WHO we trust, not WHAT we believe
- We need to respond to God in obedience and courage and not in disobedience and cowardice
Scripture: James 2:8-13
Our intimate relationship with God will produce love in us. Therefore, love is the dominant, principal, essential key to the Christian lifestyle.
To love God, others as ourselves is to fulfill the God's royal decree
- We need to love everyone as we would love ourselves
- We need to love everyone fairly and unconditionally
- We need to love everyone as God loves us
Scripture: James 1:19-27
As followers of Jesus our way of life ought to be real and genuine. Authentic.
What are the 3 qualities of real and genuine followers of Jesus?
- Real and genuine believers humbly accept the word of God
- Real and genuine believers are doers of the word of God
- Real and genuine believers live out the word of God
Scripture: James 1:12-18
Temptation is a challenge we face to mature and grow stronger in the Lord.
To be tempted is not a sin. To give in, is sin. How do we overcome temptation?
- When tempted, don't blame God
- When tempted, know the steps that lead us to sin
4 Steps from temptation to sinning.
- Recognise the presence of our evil desires
- Recognise we're being enticed and deceived
- Recognise our tendency to disobey God
- Sin leads to spiritual death
When tempted, resist the Devil who is the Deceiver and Tempter.
When tempted, remember God only gives good and perfect gift.
Overcoming temptation is our way of life as followers of Jesus.
Scripture: James 1:9-11
Rich or poor, we're to live with contentment in the Lord.
- Rich or poor, we can live with contentment in Christ because our true riches is in Him
- Rich or poor, we can live with contentment in Christ without discriminating
- Rich or poor, we can live with contentment in Christ without exploiting others for our benefits
This is our way of life:
- Be like the Godly poor and not ungodly poor. Be like the Godly rich and not the ungodly rich.
- Be content with our lot in life
- Be humble in your wealth. And be honoured if you lack.
- Be impartial to the rich. But respect the poor. As God is impartial and just.
- Share with those who have not (however much or little you have)
- Use your wealth for God's purposes (however much or little)
- Do justice and what is right (however much or little you have)
- Be modest, unelaborate, non-showy in your lifestyle
Scripture: James 1:2-8
We will have challenges, troubles, trials and tests. How do your face them?
- We can face them with deep joy (James 1:2)
- We can face trials with perseverance (James 1:3-4)
- We can face trials and tests with the wisdom of God (James 1:5)
- We can face trials and testing with steadfast faith in God (James 1:6-8)
Scripture: James 1:1
We know Peter, Paul and John. But who is James?
- James became a follower after Jesus' resurrection
- James was a humble and sensible person
- James was a good leader and moderator
- James was a faithful man who kept and passed on the teachings of God and Christ
- James was a deeply spiritual man
Scripture: James 1:22-25
It's time to seek the Lord. To reboot, reset, recharge and renew our spirt and soul in Christ.
- To turn on our relationship with God, we need to turn on the switch to the power of prayer
- To energise our relationship with God, we need to stay connected to Him who is our Source and Lifeline
- To upkeep our relationship with God, we need to seek the Lord in praying all the time as our commitment and covenant to Him